Established in 1924, the Daniel and Florence Guggenheim Foundation aimed to advance the well-being of mankind throughout the world. The Foundation provided two grants for rocketry education centers at Princeton and the California Institute of Technology, and created the Daniel and Florence Guggenheim Aviation Safety Center at Cornell University. By 1960, the Center at Cornell had undertaken research on collision avoidance, crash fire prevention, occupant protection, altimeter and instrument error, and in-flight explosions. The Foundation also donated the Daniel and Florence Guggenheim Space Theater to the American Museum of Natural History for use in conjunction with the Hayden Planetarium. The Foundation closed in 2011.